Manchester United announced on Friday that it has “taken appropriate steps” following star striker Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent interview with TalkTV’s Piers Morgan.
In the interview, Ronaldo said he felt “betrayed” by the Premier League club, expressed disrespect for manager Erik ten Hag and doubted he would return to the team.
Manchester United’s statement said they will not comment further on the matter “until this process is completed.”
Several British media outlets have claimed that the club is considering terminating Ronaldo’s contract as a result of the controversial interview.
The Guardian and The Athletic both quoted sources as saying the club has appointed lawyers and is considering legal action against Ronaldo. The Guardian also reported that the striker has been instructed not to return to Carrington, the club’s training ground, once the World Cup has ended.
CNN contacted Ronaldo’s representative to confirm the reports, but did not immediately hear back. Manchester United responded to the request for confirmation with the same statement posted on the club’s website earlier in the day.
Premier League contracts require players to “act in accordance with all lawful instructions from an authorized officer of the club” and prohibit “knowingly or recklessly writing or saying anything or failing to do anything that may harm the club or the game harm”. of football discredited.”
The contracts also stipulate that players are required, circumstances permitting, to give clubs “reasonable notice” of their intent to make public media appearances.
Ronaldo has not had a happy second reunion with the club he first joined in 2003.
After a glittering first period in which he won all honours, including the first of his five Ballon d’Or trophies, Ronaldo enjoyed his first season without a trophy since 2005 last season.
He made a fairytale return to Manchester last year, scoring a brace on his debut to usher in a new era at United, but things quickly turned sour for the club. They sacked manager and Ronaldo’s former teammate Ole Gunnar Solskjær before hiring Ralf Ragnick, someone Ronaldo said in the interview he had “never heard of”.
Despite United’s poor form and results, Ronaldo has been widely defended by fans and pundits alike, thanks to his 24 goals in all competitions.
But since his interview, those who were once quick to defend him now agree with Ten Hag’s assessment that Ronaldo is not fit to play for United.
Ronaldo’s former teammate Rio Ferdinand said on his ‘Vibe with Five’ podcast that “this was all made for one thing – and that is for him to leave the club.”
“I don’t feel the club will take him back and I don’t think he wants to come back. This has all been manufactured for that reason,” he added.
Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney had to defend himself against Ronaldo’s interview. Ronaldo was highly critical of Rooney after the former England captain said Ronaldo’s age had caught up with him and it would be difficult for the 37-year-old to “accept what’s going on, that he’s not playing and sitting on the bench “. .”
Rooney said on Thursday that what he said about Ronaldo was “not a criticism”.
“What I have said is that age happens to all of us, Cristiano finds it difficult to deal with,” the England former said of Ronaldo’s “strange” comments.